Selling a used car is an artform, and a car owner has to be smart about how they spend their money to prepare that car for sale, so they can get the most money back. It wouldn’t make sense to put $1,000 into a car just to sell it for $500 more than if you sold it without putting money into it.
At Austin Area Color New, we help car owners refresh their auto interiors so they can get the most bang for their buck, so here are some tips!
You can also bring your car to Color New to repair your dashboard or console, fix tears in your seats or get rid of stains or odors, all at reasonable prices that will pay off in the end after your sale.
12 Tips — Selling a Used Car Made Easy!
Here are some steps on how to prepare your used car for sale:
1. Let Color New recondition your car’s interior: There’s car detailing and there’s car reconditioning — what’s the difference? At Austin Area Color New, we repair, mend, refresh and renew the interior of a car, as opposed to a car detailer, which basically just washes and vacuums your car. Color New can do cosmetic fixes, as well as cleaning things like your seats, carpets and headliners.
2. Get the car detailed: A professional detailer can make your car look its best by removing any dirt, grime, and scratches. This is an especially good idea if your car is older or has been in an accident.
3. Get the car’s engine and tires inspected by a mechanic: Be honest in your negotiations, share what you’ve replaced and fixed, but also what still needs works, so your customer understands you’re not hiding anything.
4. Fix any minor issues: This could include things like replacing a broken taillight, fixing a loose bumper, or getting an oil change. Buyers will be more likely to make an offer if they can see that the car has been well-maintained.
5. Take high-quality photos of your car: Buyers want to be able to see what they’re getting, so take photos of the car from all angles, both inside and out. Make sure the photos are well-lit and in focus.
6. Write a clear and concise ad: Your ad should include the make, model, year, mileage, and price of your car. You should also mention any major features or options that the car has.
List your car for sale in multiple places. You can list your car for sale online, in classified ads, or even on social media. The more places you list your car, the more likely you are to find a buyer.
7. Be prepared to negotiate: Buyers will often try to negotiate the price of your car. Be prepared to walk away from a deal if you’re not happy with the offer.
8. Polish the car’s exterior with a wax or sealant to protect the paint: A clean inside and a dirty outside doesn’t make any sense.
9. Remove any stains or odors from the car’s interior: Your car might look pretty, but if it smells like an ashtray, most people will pass. That means just 15% of the American population (the estimated percentage of people who still smoke) might be interested in buying your car. (Color New can remove that cigarette smell, by the way.)
10. List your car for sale in multiple places.
By following these steps, you can make sure that your car is in its best possible condition when you sell it. This will increase your chances of getting a good price for your car and selling it quickly.
Text Austin Area Color New some pictures of what you need repaired to (512) 810-3014 if you are selling a used car, and our technicians will send you back a quote!