A windshield chip is a small, usually circular, area of damage to a windshield that does not penetrate all the way through the glass. Windshield chips can be caused by a variety of things, including road debris, rocks, and hail.
If you have a windshield chip, it is important to have it repaired as soon as possible. A small chip can quickly spread and become a large crack, which can impair your visibility and make it unsafe to drive.
Benefits of Repairing a Windshield Chip
There are several benefits to repairing a windshield chip, including:
Prevents the chip from spreading: A small chip can quickly spread and become a large crack. Repairing the chip as soon as possible can help to prevent it from spreading.
Improves visibility: A large crack in your windshield can impair your visibility and make it unsafe to drive. Repairing the crack can help to improve your visibility and make it safer to drive.
Increases the value of your car: A windshield with a large crack or chip can decrease the value of your car. Repairing the chip can help to increase the value of your car.
Saves you money on a windshield replacement: If you wait too long to repair a chip, it may eventually spread and require a windshield replacement. A windshield replacement can be expensive. Repairing the chip as soon as possible can help to save you money on a windshield replacement.
There are two main ways to fix a windshield chip – professionally, by a company like Austin Area Color New, or by using a Do-It-Yourself repair kit.
DIY Repair Kit
A DIY repair kit is a relatively inexpensive and easy way to fix a small windshield chip. These kits come with everything you need to repair the chip yourself, including a resin, a syringe, and a curing strip.
To use a DIY repair kit, follow these steps:
- Clean the area around the chip with glass cleaner and a clean cloth.
- Use the included pick or tool to remove any loose glass from the chip.
- Apply the adhesive patch to the chip.
- Inject the resin into the chip using the syringe provided.
- Use the curing strip to cover the chip.
- Allow the resin to cure for the amount of time specified in the kit instructions.
- Remove the curing strip and clean the area with glass cleaner.
If you are not comfortable repairing the chip yourself, or if the chip is large or has a starburst pattern, you may want to have it repaired by a professional, like the people at Austin Area Color New. We can repair the chip quickly and efficiently, and we have the experience and tools to do the job right. Call us at (512) 810-3014 to set up an appointment!
Tips for Repairing a Windshield Chip
If you decide to repair the chip yourself, here are a few tips to help you get the job done right:
- Do not drive with the chip exposed to the elements. The chip can spread if it is exposed to rain, snow, or extreme heat.
- If the chip is in the driver’s line of sight, it may be a safety hazard. Have the chip repaired as soon as possible.
- If you are not comfortable repairing the chip yourself, take your car to a professional. A professional will be able to repair the chip quickly and efficiently.
A windshield chip is a small, but potentially dangerous, problem. By following these tips, you can repair the chip yourself. Even better, if you live in Central Texas, near Austin, Houston, San Antonio or Waco, you can call us at (512) 810-3014 to set up an appointment, so you can keep your windshield in good condition. We recondition auto interiors in Round Rock, Georgetown, Cedar Park, Leander, Hutto and many other surrounding cities!